Macaroni salad is one of my favorite sides ever. This recipe is a pretty classic version of it, and is completely delish. I love that it has lots of crunch and textures from the celery and pickles, and is creamy, but still light and fresh. It's a perfect side, in my opinion, and is great served alongside grilled meat especially.
Classic Macaroni Salad
- 4 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 whole roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup black llives, chopped
- handful of sweet pickle slices, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large celery stick, chopped small (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 whole green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (non-fat works!)
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- lots of black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk (or more If needed)
- splash of sweet pickle juice
Cook the macaroni in lightly salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
Mix together mayo, greek yogurt, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Splash in enough milk to make it pourable. Splash in pickle juice for extra flavor. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
Place cooled macaroni in a large bowl and pour in the dressing. Toss the olives, roasted red peppers, pickles, celery, and green onions into the bowl, and stir to combine.
Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Sprinkle with extra sliced green onion, and enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman